Thursday, June 15, 2006

When I was a teenager...

the Dead Sea was just sick. :oP

Seriously,though, my teenage years weren't my favorite. I was a loner, yet hung out with other "losers" at my high school. If I wasn't in school, I was alone. I was not involved in extra-curricular activities, nor did I work until my Senior year. I did okay with my grades, but probably could have done better.

At home, it wasn't much better. I suffered from depression, thanks to my emotionally and verbally abusive father. He never laid a hand on us, but we never knew when he would take a hankering to. My brother was verbally abusive during his adolescent years, to myself and to our mother. Mom, bless her heart, tried to make up for the lack of love coming from my dad and brother. I love her so much for that!

My adolescent years were uneventful. With a dad and brother like I had, there was no room for anyone else in the family to be abusive. I just did what I was told and kept my distance.

Thankfully, both my dad and my brother have changed. Dad went through a life-threatening bought of colon cancer and completly turned his life around. I finally have a Dad!! My brother still has a bit to go on controling his anger, but is nothing like he was as a teenager. I have discovered medication for my depression, and have a wonderful husband and family that is supportive of me. That has made a world of difference in my life.

6 comments:

Gabby Faye said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gabby Faye said...

Loved the "dead sea" joke. I will borrow it some time. Meanwhile, bless you for your attitude toward your life. I will add a thanks to my prayers for your "recovery".

Unknown said...

You are an amazing person, you know that don't you? To have gone through such troubled teens and still have a sense of humor as well as being able to talk about it.

heather said...

What a tough time you had. So glad you've found happiness, and a Dad :)

faery-wings said...

I am so glad you and your dad have a relationship now. My dad and I couldn't be inthe same room in my teen years and I am so happy to have a good relationship with himnow.

loonyhiker said...

I'm glad you didn't let the past affect your relationship with your dad and brother now. It shows what a great person you are!