Thursday, February 25, 2010

Today is Currency Day. It was introduced to the US in 1862 by President Lincoln. Do you carry much cash around with you or do you prefer to use a credit or debit card?

Hmmmm, interesting question, don't you think?

Personally, I prefer to have atleast $10 cash on hand at all times. You never know when you'll want to stop by that little Chinese restaurant only to find out they do not accept CC/DC any more!

That actually happend to my husband and myself today. He left me in the restaurant while he went hunting for an ATM to get the cash to pay for our lunch. Somewhat humiliating, but the restaurant staff was very understanding and even pointed out where several ATMs were located. The food was very much worth the extra time and effort of my husband's part. Needless to say...he was seriously wanting some General Tsao's Chicken!  lol

On the other hand, using the CC/DC is a much quicker transaction. You don't have to wait on the cashier to make sure what denomination bill you handed him/her, then decide what your change should be, count it out, and hand it to you. Trust me...that can seem to take forever! Don't they know you can enter the amount handed to you and the register will show the amount due back? Sheesh!

In the end, I suppose there are good arguments for both sides. However, I will continue to keep a $10 bill stashed somewhere in my purse. You never know when I might get a hankering for sesame chicken!

1 comment:

loonyhiker said...

At least there were two of you and one could go get cash. What if you had been alone? We were in a little rural town in Virginia once and I asked the lady if she took a credit card and she didn't. But she was so sweet and said that if we didn't have cash or a check, when we got home to SC, we could just send her the money. Luckily we had cash. I notice more and more places are not accepting checks or credit cards because of the economy.