Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Favorite Family Recipe

Growing up, we had a tradition in our family...Mom always made her wonderful Red Velvet Cake for holidays, birthdays, and special occassions. This wasnt just any Red Velvet Cake...it was my Mom's cake! My brother and I especially loved September-October...his birthday is Sep 24, my folks anniversary is Oct 1, and my birthday is Oct 7. My mom had to make a cake for all three events. We would eat the cake that quickly!! It makes for a wonderful breakfast, just include a large glass of ice-cold milk...YUMMY!!!

When I went away to college my Freshman year, Mom sent me a care package in October. In it she included two red velvet cakes...9x13 and 8x8. The larger pan was for me to share with my roommates, the smaller was for just me!! I was in "hog heaven" that day!! Who needed family around when you have Mom's red velvet cake??!!!!

I am now carrying on the same tradition with my family. It's a bear to make, and the recipe card is getting harder & harder to read (thanks to my messiness), but the cake turns out great every time!

I'll be scrapping the recipe and will try to post a snapshot of the layout here.

1 comment:

loonyhiker said...

Care packages when I was in college was a lifesaver! I'm glad you had something this good and I thought it was great that you had one to share.